March 08, 2008

The Continuous


We use continuous forms for actions and happenings that have started but not finished. Stative verbs are not normally used in this way.

Think
When think means ‘believe’ or ‘have an opinion’, we do not use the continuous:
- I think Ady is Balinese, but I’m not sure. (not I am thinking)
- What do you think about my plan? (= What is your opinion)
When think means ‘consider’, the continuous is possible:
- I’m thinking about you. I often think about it
- Ady is thinking of giving up his job. (=he is considering it)

Am/is/are being
We use am/is/are being to say how somebody is behaving.
He is being = He is behaving / He is acting. Compare
- I can’t understand why he’s being so selfish. He isn’t usually like that. (being selfish = behaving selfishly at the moment)
- He never thinks about other people. He is very selfish. (not he is being) (= He is selfish generally, not only at the moment)

See, hear, smell, taste
We normally use the present simple (not continuous) with these verbs:
- Do you see that man over there? (not are you saying)
- This room smells. Let’s open a window.
We often use can + see/hear/smell/taste
- I can hear a strange noise. Can you hear it?

Look, feel
We can use the present simple or continuous to say how somebody looks or feels now:
- You look well today. OR. You are looking well today.
- How do you feel now? OR. How are you feeling now?
But
- I usually feel tired in the morning. (not I am usually feeling)

References:
1. A concise grammar for English Language Teachers (ELT G 0055)
2. Oxford Practice Grammar (ELT G 0035)
3. English Grammar in Use (ELT G 0052)

Submitted by Ady, ADS6ME 2006

Question and discussion:

Maintained by Dr. Ady :: Licenced under a Creative Commons Licence

Some rights reserved